Re: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-internet-waist-hourglass-00.txt]

2008-02-14 08:01:58

So as was already mentioned, one could
argue the waist hourglass is HTTP and HTTP/SSL, and this discussion is
irrelevant.

Many NATs and firewalls block incoming TCP sessions or unexpected UDP
packets. So if we use the logic "only stuff that works on 100% of all
hosts connected to the internet is relevant" then EVERYTHING is
irrelevant.

You are missing a really important point: Things just don't work if you
do not have a protocol for establishing and maintaining the e2e
connectivity.
SIP (in combination with ICE), for example, is such a protocol that
allows you todo that. Mobile IP is another one (when you fix various
things) etc.

It is implicit in Jonathan's draft but maybe it should be made more
explicit.

Ciao
Hannes