Re: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-internet-waist-hourglass-00.txt]

2008-02-14 08:05:42
On 2/14/08 9:58 AM, "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Disagree. There is no reason why a stateful firewall would have an
easier time tracking UDP state than any other non-TCP state when there
is no address translation.

There's just a lot more experience with UDP than there
is with some other non-TCP protocols.  Engineers have been
more motivated to deal with it than they have with, say, SCTP.

But anyway, firewalls solve a different problem from NAT.
NAT has incidentally been used as a policy device but
a firewall really is a policy device.  So, while it
might be reasonable to say "I need to figure out how
to get across a NAT," it would also be reasonable to
say "I need to figure out how to get across a firewall
without violating access policy."  You definitely do
not want to design a mechanism that enables policy
violation.

Melinda