Re: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-internet-waist-hourglass-00.txt]

2008-02-13 06:46:13
I wrote this because of a discussion that happened during behave at the
last IETF meeting in Vancouver. There was a presentation in the behave
working group on NAT ALG for SCTP - when run natively over IP - and I
found the entire conversation surreal. The entire problem would have
been moot if SCTP had been designed to run over UDP and not IP.

So apparently its not obvious to everyone that you cannot design
protocols natively ontop of IP.

-Jonathan R.

Spencer Dawkins wrote:
Hi, Hannes,

I can't answer for Jonathan, but I wondered the same thing, and decided that
the answer was probably one of

- "well, if we all know this, what are we doing differently now that we know
it?", or

- "the GOOD news is that the wasp waist-hourglass is no longer HTTP"
[RFC3205], or

- "the GREAT news is that the wasp waist-hourglass isn't Skype (yet)".

Not sure which, of course :-)

Thanks,

Spencer, with apologies to Keith Moore [RFC3205}

Hi Jonathan,
Hi all,

I read through the document and was not quite sure why you wrote it.
Everyone knows this already.

Ciao
Hannes