RE: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-internet-waist-hourglass-00.txt]

2008-02-14 07:53:23
Well, I'd hardly characterize, "allowing it to work across the public
Internet" as a property that is useless. Statements like, "useless for
all but NAT" trivialize what the Internet has evolved into. There is NAT
everywhere. Lets accept it and design for what the Internet is, and not
for the Internet as we wish it would be.

We don't see NAT on IPv6. However, we do see "statefull firewalls", and they
have the same practical effect. They block any conversation if it was not
originated "from inside the network", and for that they look at TCP and UDP
port numbers. In practice, I expect that IPv6 applications will have to be
designed to work over UDP & use an IPv6 variation of STUN to "open the
firewall". So, even with IPv6, Jonathan's statement is likely to stand.

-- Christian Huitema