Re: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-internet-waist-hourglass-00.txt]

2008-02-14 13:29:36
On 14 feb 2008, at 21:21, Dan Wing wrote:

What seems useful is a mechanism where the UDP encapsulation can be
attempted and the native (non-UDP encapsulted) protocol can be
attempted.

I was thinking along similar lines. Notwithstanding what I said
earlier, sometimes encapsulating something in UDP to make it pass
through whathever needs passing through can be useful. For instance,
there have been one or two occasions where I could have used IPv6 in
UDP encapsulation but without all the baggage that comes with Teredo.

But it seems to me that a much better approach to this is first of all
to make it optional, like you suggest, and secondly, make it a generic
mechanism that can be used for ALL protocols rather that define it
separately for one protocol at a time.

In essence, something like this would increase the address lenght by
16 bits.