Re: Was it foreseen that the Internet might handle 242 Gbps of traffic for Oprah's Book Club webinars?

2008-03-08 15:17:00

On 8 mar 2008, at 11.36, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

I have to wonder, though, if any ISP will have the guts to block
Oprah.

Why would they? Each one of the 750k "friends" of Oprah is paying for
their IP packets, and the server hosting people also pay for their IP
packets.

What is then wrong?

That the usage is "different" from what the access providers expected
when they calculated the price people pay as compared to what it cost
to produce? Or because some negotiations have failed (worked?)
regarding transit?

I.e. to some degree I feel the same story but with different words
where used in early 1990th when we saw the first gif images inline on
web pages. "Here comes the wolf!"

I think "The Internet" very well can handle all 750k friends of Oprah,
if just each friend and Oprah herself buy good Internet access.

Market economy at work...that is my view.

    Patrik

P.S. And if multicast is in use, or unicast or some othercast, that is
from my point of view part of the "innovation" the ISPs have to do
(and will do) to ensure that the production cost is as low as possible
so that their margin is maximized.