RE: Was it foreseen that the Internet might handle 242 Gbps of trafficfor Oprah's Book Club webinars?

2008-03-08 19:20:28
The problem with multicast in this application is that it only works if all the
clients are accepting the same data stream and viewing it live.

That's not how people tend to view Web video, there might be 50% of the crowd
watching it as Oprah speaks but the rest are likely to be time shifted from a
few secs to hours or even days.

An application layer architecture with in built caching would be more
efficient. Similar to the peer to peer schemes in use today but with the caches
installed by the local ISPs who are complaining about their bandwidth getting
swamped.

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Jeroen Massar
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 5:43 PM
To: Patrik Fältström
Cc: IETF discussion list
Subject: Re: Was it foreseen that the Internet might handle
242 Gbps of trafficfor Oprah's Book Club webinars?

Patrik Fältström wrote:
[..]
P.S. And if multicast is in use, or unicast or some
othercast, that is
from my point of view part of the "innovation" the ISPs have to do
(and will do) to ensure that the production cost is as low
as possible
so that their margin is maximized.

I actually see a bit of a problem here as multicast would
lower the usage of links, as such, they can't charge as much
as with link that is saturated with unicasted packets. Thus
to lower the use in the internal network one would use
multicast, but the client would then still have to get
unicast so that for every listener they are actually paying...

Greets,
  Jeroen