Re: IONs & discuss criteria

2008-03-10 07:20:49

--On Sunday, March 09, 2008 22:45:33 -0400 Ted Hardie
<hardie(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
wrote:

This particular ION had a life as an internet-draft with an intent to
publish it as an RFC before the ION series existed.  It was draft-iesg at
one time, and no one came up with  a draft-ietfer- counter proposal.  But
our mechanisms for allowing that kind of publication have years of
experience behind them.  Not so much for community commentary
on  IONs, IESG statements, or the like, which have tended to be perceived
as changeable only by replacing the sitting IESG.

my memory says that "discuss criteria" started out as an I-D, but with no
consensus (or even a clear idea) on how to get a referenceable publication
of it. It was one of the exampels that made me suggest IONs, exactly for
that reason - RFC just didn't seem to fit.

                       Harald