RE: EAP applicability (Was: Re: IETF Last Call on Walled Garden Standard for the Internet)

2008-03-20 07:59:50
FYI. In WiMAX we derive keys directly from EMSK.  We don't use the MOARKs ;-)

It maybe a good idea or a bad idea -- we haven't had a chance to look at it
because we did our stuff before the MOARK was conceived. We did align at one
point with Joe's draft.

I am not sure whether defining a MOARK is the root of all evil.  It maybe a
good idea to derive keys from it in general or it maybe a good idea for HOAKEY
to derive its keys from it.

Simply removing MOARK is not sufficient to prevent the EMSK to be missused.  I
think we need to provide the text to describe the pitfalls of EMSK missuse.

Also to note, in WiMAX the keys we derive from EMSK are for MIP and other
network centric applications such as over the air provisioning.  I don't want
to give the impression that in WiMAX we are using the EMSK for anything and
everything.  At the same time, I don't want to give the impression that that is
all that WiMAX will use the EMSK for in the future.  To be sure it is very
tempting indeed to have a source of keying material that is known at the mobile
and at the network.  That is why I look forward to *constructive* instructions
from the IETF.