Re: Possible RFC 3683 PR-action

2008-03-25 10:19:13
On 3/25/08 12:56 PM, "Edward Lewis" <Ed(_dot_)Lewis(_at_)neustar(_dot_)biz>
wrote:
Where I lose interest in this conversation is when I ask "what does
it matter who made the point?"

I suppose that's the ideal.  We know some voices carry more
weight and some carry less, but I think what's actually under
discussion is process abuses, not the resoluation of technical
differences.

Thinking not-that-far-back to the arrival of the FSF-driven
hordes trying to stop publication of the TLS authorization
document, I think the IETF pretty much blew them off, which was
the right thing to do under the circumstances.  If it didn't
matter who was making the point I'm not sure that would have
happened (and I think if it had been only one or two of them I'm
not sure that would have happened, either).

These days I'm inclined to think that the IETF would be able
to solve a good number of these problems by becoming a
membership organization.  I realize that's anathema to nearly
everybody and is unlikely to happen, but I'm not sure I see
problems like this being solved otherwise.

Melinda