Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-03-25 15:31:23

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:00:23AM +0100, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Ned Freed wrote:

If the consensus is that better interoperability can be had
by banning bare AAAA records that's perfectly fine with me.

FWIW, I'd like that...

Clarity can be established and interoperability _improved_
by limiting discovery to just A and MX records.  Perhaps a
note might be included that at some point in the future MX
records may become required.

Again, I have no problem with this approach if that's what
the consensus is.

...and that, too.

      so what is supposed to happen when I remove all
      "A" RR's from my zones?

        The same thing that happens today with zones that don't
        have A records.  You use MX records to refer to machines
        that have address (A and/or AAAA) records.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org