Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-03-25 19:35:14
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:30:27AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:00:23AM +0100, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Ned Freed wrote:

If the consensus is that better interoperability can be had
by banning bare AAAA records that's perfectly fine with me.

FWIW, I'd like that...

Clarity can be established and interoperability _improved_
by limiting discovery to just A and MX records.  Perhaps a
note might be included that at some point in the future MX
records may become required.

Again, I have no problem with this approach if that's what
the consensus is.

...and that, too.

    so what is supposed to happen when I remove all
    "A" RR's from my zones?

      The same thing that happens today with zones that don't
      have A records.  You use MX records to refer to machines
      that have address (A and/or AAAA) records.

        er...  what about zones w/ A & AAAA rr's and no MX's?
        when I pull the A rr's, you are telling me that SMTP
        stops working?  That is so broken.

--bill

      Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET:

--
--bill