Re: Implicit MX and A RRs

2008-03-27 14:54:39

--On Thursday, 27 March, 2008 09:00 +0200 Matti Aarnio
<mea(_at_)nic(_dot_)funet(_dot_)fi> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:46:37AM -0400, Tony Hansen wrote:
<Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> wrote:

It would be needed until IPv6 takes over.
  It will be needed even *after* IPv6 takes over.  There will
  be lots of queries for A records long after the majority
  of hosts don't have A records.

  We need to remove the implict MX from A to prevent the A
  record lookups occuring as things currently stand.

There will be lots of legacy codes using legacy APIs for long
future. I do use  getaddrinfo()  API myself, and permit it do
all queries to get addresses.  Thus it will also query for A
in addition to AAAA. It can even be ordered to ignore IPv4 or
IPv6 as sysadmin wants.

For the future the previous "query for A record" should
possibly be altered to "query for network address (IPv6 AAAA
and/or IPv4 A)" or some such generic wording.

That is approximately what it says (in 2821bis) now.  It was
saying that which touched off the thread of which this one is a
descendant.

   john