Re: Implicit MX and A RRs

2008-03-27 00:20:14

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:46:37AM -0400, Tony Hansen wrote:
<Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> wrote:

It would be needed until IPv6 takes over.
   It will be needed even *after* IPv6 takes over.  There will
   be lots of queries for A records long after the majority
   of hosts don't have A records.

   We need to remove the implict MX from A to prevent the A
   record lookups occuring as things currently stand.

There will be lots of legacy codes using legacy APIs for long future.
I do use  getaddrinfo()  API myself, and permit it do all queries to
get addresses.  Thus it will also query for A in addition to AAAA.
It can even be ordered to ignore IPv4 or IPv6 as sysadmin wants.

For the future the previous "query for A record" should possibly
be altered to "query for network address (IPv6 AAAA and/or IPv4 A)"
or some such generic wording.

--
/Matti Aarnio   <mea(_at_)nic(_dot_)funet(_dot_)fi>