Re: Implicit MX and A RRs

2008-03-27 23:35:55
Tony Finch wrote:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Matti Aarnio wrote:
There will be lots of legacy codes using legacy APIs for long future.
I do use  getaddrinfo()  API myself, and permit it do all queries to
get addresses.  Thus it will also query for A in addition to AAAA.
It can even be ordered to ignore IPv4 or IPv6 as sysadmin wants.

There's an amusing interop issue with getaddrinfo and DNS lookups in MTAs.
In many implementations getaddrinfo will perform SRV lookups for you

this is just broken.   SRV should only be used for applications that are
specified to use SRV.

for this reason among others, I never specify a service name in a call
to getaddrinfo.

Keith