Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-03-29 07:34:51
On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 10:16:10AM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
I think it is time to put an end to specious arguments.

These standards get used for decades.  I don't think it's appropriate to
cripple them because of some arrangement that happens to exist now from
a few dysfunctional DNS providers.  Providers will get more flexible as
the need becomes apparent, and domain owners who have problems with
their DNS providers can change providers.  It's not difficult.

So I must be missing something, probably because I deleted without
reading closely enough one of the earlier messages on this thread.
But please indulge me --- exactly what is the benefit of deprecating
the "A" fallback, and/or not doing a lookup on the AAAA record if the
MX record doesn't exist?  Is it the load on the nameservers that
people would believe would be reduced if we didn't do this?  Is that
really a problem?  Or is it something else?

                                        - Ted