Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-03-29 08:11:43
One of the problems I have seen first-hand is "disappearing" mail.
Example: A webserver sends outbound email directly, but doesn't want
to receive inbound email. The hostname leaks and mail gets sent to
that address, based  on the A(AAA) record. The mail is "received", but
disappears into some never-seen /var file. In that case, the sender
never suspects that anything is amiss; it would be much better if the
sender got an immediate "sorry, that domain name doesn't support email
service" error.

Even if you turn off sendmail, as someone has pointed out earlier, the
sending MTA will retry for several days until giving up, thus delaying
error notification that would be immediate otherwise in this
particular case.

You can obviously turn off sendmail local delivery, but many of the
standard web hosting (cPanel and kin, but also the standard RH mail
setup) arrangements don't make it particularly easy to have outbound-
only sendmail.

Thus, disabling AAAA checking seems to provide much cleaner error
behavior. The 'MX 0' proposals would achieve some of the same results,
but removing the AAAA lookup is default-safe, rather than requiring
operator action. It's too late to change the A behavior, but there
doesn't seem to be a reason to perpetuate this violation of the
principle of least surprise.

Henning