RE: Blue Sheet Change Proposal

2008-04-03 21:44:39

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Dave Crocker

Eric Burger wrote:
2. Legal issues: When the inevitable patent dispute happens, we WILL get
served to report who was in the room when a particular subject was
discussed.

This is sufficient reason, for me, to keep recording unique contact
information,
namely the email address.

IANAL, but I believe if we don't record the emails, it doesn't stop us from
honoring a subpoena and giving over the blue sheets with the data we do have.
I'm not saying if that's good or bad.
But anyway I assume the IETF has legal counsel which has been asked what, if
anything, should be recorded to protect the IETF and its members, and that they
said we don't need to keep emails which is why this topic is being discussed by
us rather than being moot?

-hadriel