RE: Blue Sheet Change Proposal

2008-04-03 21:27:17

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Eric Rescorla

At Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:22:42 +1100,
Mark Andrews wrote:
      It's is the only unique token on the blue sheets.  This
      assumes no shared email accounts which is a pretty reasonable
      assumption in this case.

I'm not getting why this is important. It's not like we're using it
to key a hash table. As Ole observes, the blue sheets are used primarily
for counting attendance, and I hear, occasionally as proof that someone
was
actually present. In both of these cases, I think we can probably
tolerate this amount of ambiguity.

I think he means if the sheet is truly used for proof of presence and IPR
awareness then it's not good enough to allow name collisions.  But I don't see
how blue sheets would hold any strength anyway for that purpose, because (1)
signing doesn't mean I was there the whole time, and (2) doesn't mean I had
stopped reading emails and was paying attention.  And I was not aware that
signing them implies any such thing, either - is this announced when they're
handed out??

I'm all for removing emails and making blue-sheet-signing go faster, fwiw.

-hadriel