RE: Proposed Revisions to IETF Trust Administrative Procedures

2008-04-08 17:56:27

--On Tuesday, 08 April, 2008 16:30 -0400 Ed Juskevicius
<edj(_at_)nortel(_dot_)com> wrote:

The above being said, it is quite clear from the excellent
comments posted by several people on this topic that the
Trustees have more work to do before the job of revising the
text on the Administrative Procedures document is done.  For
example,  John Klensin commented on some of the text in
paragraph 12 that says "If at any time the IAOC ceases to
exist, the Trustees then in office shall remain in office
...".  That text is not new nor a proposed change to any
existing Trust procedure.  Those words are original text from
December 2005.  I am happy John took note of them in this
round of discussions, as I don't think they exactly express
what the Trustees intended for this clause to say.

Ed,

Both the IAOC and then the Trust were conceived and defined on
the assumption that they were to isolate administrative
functions and thereby relieve not only the IESG and IAB but the
community from having to monitor them in detail.  Speaking only
for myself, I've been following that assumption, trusting you
folks to do what needs to be done and to do so within the
parameters and procedures laid out in the defining documents.
While I'm certain there was no malice involved, I find it deeply
troubling that a note that was supposed to be about something
else turned up "original text" in a procedures document that is
inconsistent with one of those defining documents, the Trust
Agreement.  I hope it doesn't add significantly to the workload,
but I hope the IAOC will its practices for verifying consistency
between its procedures and actions (and those of the Trust) and
those defining documents.

    john