Re: IESG Statement on Spam Control on IETF Mailing Lists

2008-04-14 22:29:28
Hi -

From: "Ned Freed" <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com>
To: "Henrik Levkowetz" <henrik(_at_)levkowetz(_dot_)com>
Cc: "Ned Freed" <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com>;
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: IESG Statement on Spam Control on IETF Mailing Lists
And there's that word "automatically". There is nothing in the text that
says
such arrangements have to be automatic.

I have the same problem with the text.  It says:

* IETF mailing lists MUST provide a mechanism for legitimate technical
participants to bypass moderation, challenge-response, or other techniques
that would interfere with a prompt technical debate on the mailing list
without requiring such participants to receive list traffic.

The stated requirement is that it must not "interfere with a prompt
technical debate". Clearly, that rules out anything requiring human
intervention.

It does nothing of the sort. This is talking about the effect the whitelist
must have, not the procedure for setting it up.

And before you argue that it can be read as applying to the setup procedure,
then you need to explain what it means to "bypass moderation" for a
whitelisting setup operation. That makes no sense whatsoever.

What do you have in mind that would allow the
spammer^H^H^H^H^H^H^H participant to post without subscribing
and without interacting with a chair or list administrator?

I have no such thing in mind because there's no such requirement to meet.

However, this has gone on long enough. I give up - what seems completely and
absolutely clear to me to the point of patent obviousness is apparently totally
opaque to lots of other people. So let's change the language to make it clear
to everyone and be done with it.

                                Ned