Re: IESG Statement on Spam Control on IETF Mailing Lists

2008-04-16 10:43:23
James Galvin wrote:

Or did you mean some other form?

Yes, not the "request list" form, I've never used it.

I meant IETF -> lists -> note well -> other lists ->
non-WG -> non-WG posting page (five clicks deep ;-)
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/list/nonwg/update/> ->
step 1 "add new entry" -> proceed -> step 2 **THIS**.

 [gateway old <-> new list instead of list <-> archive]
what it facilitates is using the same mechanisms in
the same way to control the SPAM problem.  It is an
operational simplification that obviates a bifurcation.

If it obviates bifurcation I didn't get what you were
talking about.  Maybe you want to *replace* the old
list elsewhere by a new list at ietf.org, preserving
only the subscriptions.

IME moving lists or groups, just renaming them, is a
guaranteed way to lose 80% of all readers forever, and
annoying a significant part of the rest.  The "other
lists" have owners, why should they hand over their
list to the IETF ?  Change as much as lists.ietf.org
to ietf.org and it will cause havoc somewhere, and
months to figure out what's broken.

As an example, from my POV two review lists are dead,
and I will dump review requests directly to iesg@ or
whatever it takes to get them on public record (it's
a formal thing, "tried to send" is not good enough ;-)

 Frank