Re: IESG Statement on Spam Control on IETF Mailing Lists

2008-04-15 07:16:30
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eliot Lear" <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: "Russ Housley" <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com>
Cc: "IETF Discussion" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: IESG Statement on Spam Control on IETF Mailing Lists

Russ,

When IETF lists are housed somewhere other than ietf.org, they are
supposed to include an archive recipient so that there is an archive
available at ietf.org (perhaps in addition to the one kept at the
place where the list is housed).

I'll agree with Phill's conclusion on this one.

I think there is probably convenience value to housing the mailing lists
at the IETF.  It allows for a single whitelist, reduction in those
annoying monthly messages that we eventually all filter into the
bitbucket.

Err, no!  I have been silently discarded from IETF lists on a number of
occasions - v6ops is the worst offender - and that monthly message is an
invaluable check as to whether I have been discarded again or whether the list
has been dormant.

Tom Petch

Also, it  probably is easier to effect and audit policy
(such as we have any) in terms of message retention, uniform access, etc.

Regards,

Eliot