Re: IESG Statement on Spam Control on IETF Mailing Lists

2008-04-14 10:23:28
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip
<pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:
I would suggest that the IESG also think about hosting all IETF lists in
 house in the future.

 The main reason for this is legal, a list that is maintained by the IETF
 is much more satisfactory in a patent dispute than one run by a third
 party. Last thing we want is to have patent trolls dragging a third
 party list maintainer into a dispute while they try to argue that the
 list somehow does not count.

    The question I'd have in response to that point though, Phillip,
is how the cost vs. benefit of hosting all data in-house with
consideration to changing privacy and data retention laws weighs out.

    Apologies for the run-on sentence.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Ask me about: