Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-02 16:24:49

Which brings up a question can a TLD be used like a domain name?

not just http://microsoft/ but bill(_dot_)gate(_at_)microsoft will likely to
fail to.

james

        The Internet went to multi-label hostnames ~20 years ago.
        We added ".ARPA" to all the single label hostnames as part
        of that process.  The only hold over is "localhost" and
        that is implemeted locally, not in the global DNS.

        No sane TLD operator can expect "http://tld"; or "user(_at_)tld"
        to work reliably.  I suspect there are still mail configuations
        around that will re-write "user(_at_)tld" to "user(_at_)tld(_dot_)ARPA".

        Should we be writting a RFC which states that MX and address
        records SHOULD NOT be added to the apex of a TLD zone?

        Should we be writting a RFC which states that single label
        hostnames/mail domains SHOULD NOT be looked up "as is" in
        the DNS?

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org