Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-07 10:19:57
What will be the impact of having, perhaps,

  1)  millions of entries in the root servers, and

Let's start by considering thousands of entries, since I see little
reason to expect even that many from ICANN's current plans.

  2)  constant traffic banging on those servers?

The latest CAIDA study says:

* The overall query traffic experienced by the roots continues to
  grow. The observed 2007 query rate and client rate was 1.5-3X above
  their observed values in 2006

* The proportion of invalid traffic, i.e., DNS pollution, hitting the
  roots is still high, over 99% of the queries should not even be sent
  to the root servers. We found an extremely strong correlation both
  years: the higher the query rate of a client, the lower the fraction
  of valid queries.

That suggests that if the legit traffic increased by an order of
magnitude, it would still be down in the noise compared to the junk.
Conversely, if root server traffic is an issue, getting networks to
clean up their DNS traffic would be much more effective than limiting
the number of TLDs.

http://www.caida.org/research/dns/roottraffic/comparison06_07.xml

R's,
John