Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-07 18:15:29

John C Klensin wrote:
     What do
you think would happen to that recommendation, and the benefits
it affords, if the size of the root zone increased by an order
of magnitude or so?

2 orders?  20K?

No, sorry.  Think 3-4 orders of magnitude.

Really.

Let me explain: I'm not against more TLDs. Quite the opposite. (I appointed by Postel to participate in the pre-ICANN committee tasked with increasing the number.)

But there is a paradigmatic difference between a TLD defined and operated to mediate on behalf of a general and diverse population, versus one constrained to a narrow and controlled constituency, such as a single company.

The number of the latter is quite large.  And by that I mean *really* large.

And all of the questions I asked 10 years ago said that TLDs on that latter scale would be problematic to the root.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking