Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-03 01:07:31
On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:23:58AM +1000,
 Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> wrote
 a message of 32 lines which said:

      No sane TLD operator can expect "http://tld"; or "user(_at_)tld"
      to work reliably.

[Mark, you used non-RFC2606 names, the IESG will put a DISCUSS against
you.]

I agree but it is not the point: an email adress like
bortzmeyer+ietf(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr is legal and works but not reliably (there are
many stupid broken Web forms which refuse it and tell me it's not
valid).

http://example is legal and should work. If it does not, it may
indicate a broken implementation.

      I suspect there are still mail configuations
      around that will re-write "user(_at_)tld" to "user(_at_)tld(_dot_)ARPA".

There are many broken mail configurations.

      Should we be writting a RFC which states that MX and address
      records SHOULD NOT be added to the apex of a TLD zone?

No. A TLD is a domain like any other and we should not write special
rules for them.

      Should we be writting a RFC which states that single label
      hostnames/mail domains SHOULD NOT be looked up "as is" in
      the DNS?

I hate special cases.