Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-07 20:49:37
Joe,

On 2008-07-08 14:55, Joe Abley wrote:
I'm not suggesting that growth should be allowed to happen without
considering the technical consequences. However, I believe in practice
with the headroom in systems and network that root server operators
generally install anyway, there's considerable room for growth

'Considerable' isn't science. How many orders of magnitude do we
have good reason to believe is OK?

and the
general argument that growth in the root zone will undermine stability
sounds more like hysteria than science.

No, it sounds like an absence of science. All we know is that
we are somewhere between 'considerable room for growth' and
'undermining stability.'

Frankly I don't think we have any more idea of the answer to that
than we did on 23 Feb 1998 when the IAB wrote to Ira Magaziner
(http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg04154.html):

On the other hand, a very large increase in the total number of gTLDs
(say to thousands) would lead us into technically unknown territory.

I suggest that there is some urgency in conducting a data-based
study of where the limit to stability lies.

    Brian