Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-07 11:06:59

John Levine wrote:
What will be the impact of having, perhaps,

  1)  millions of entries in the root servers, and

Let's start by considering thousands of entries, since I see little
reason to expect even that many from ICANN's current plans.

When making a paradigm change to a core, infrastructure mechanism, it is best to assume the worst-case conditions, rather than best.

For example, I can assure you from first-hand knowledge that US$ 100K cost for a domain name a company deems desirable is not all that rare. I would certainly not assume the global limit to be a few thousand.

More generally, the difference between allowing unbounded TLDs, versus limiting them by a price, involves very different strategic decision-making. The former is massive and fundamental. The latter is rather minor and likely to be viewed as tweaking.

So any analysis had better be made on the assumption that limits are from more natural and persistent characteristics, rather than from a current charging or operations constraints decision.

  2)  constant traffic banging on those servers?
* The proportion of invalid traffic, i.e., DNS pollution, hitting the
  roots is still high, over 99% of the queries should not even be sent
to the root servers.
That suggests that if the legit traffic increased by an order of
magnitude, it would still be down in the noise compared to the junk.

Not if, for example, the 99% also grew with the added legitimate traffice.

Again, the operations rule I've been taught is to base analyses based on the limit of worst-case scenarios that one can tolerate, not to make assumptions about reasonableness (other than there won't be any.)

d/

ps. I assume (and hope) that the real DNS root experts will weigh in on this, here, soon...

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking