Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-03 15:33:14
Oops, ignore my email :P My reading comprehension is bad in the morning.

-James Seng

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:31 AM, James Seng <james(_at_)seng(_dot_)sg> wrote:
RFC 4282 defined

  label       =  let-dig *(ldh-str)

which means a single-label Unicode string would be absolutely fine
since it translate to xn--gibberish. A shorter gibberish of cos, but
still longer than a single character.

-James Seng

Potential problems with global use of single-label names go beyond SMTP.
For example,  RFC 4282, which defines the Network Access Identifier
(NAI), does not permit the use of single-label names. From Section 2.1:

   realm       =  1*( label "." ) label

As a result, someone purchasing the "example" TLD and using the NAI
bob(_at_)example in order to obtain access to the network, might well
discover that this would not work.