RE: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-03 15:27:49

Lyman said:

I'm familiar with <draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-10.txt> and understand > the
importance of using only FQDNs in SMTP exchanges given that "[i]n > the case
of a top-level domain used by itself in an email address, a > single string
is used without any dots." What I'm interested in is > any reason to
proscribe the use of a TLD as a single label hostname > (particularly for
email addresses) other than the fact that there is > software out there that
will interpret it incorrectly -
Potential problems with global use of single-label names go beyond SMTP.
For example,  RFC 4282, which defines the Network Access Identifier
(NAI), does not permit the use of single-label names. From Section 2.1:

   realm       =  1*( label "." ) label

As a result, someone purchasing the "example" TLD and using the NAI
bob(_at_)example in order to obtain access to the network, might well
discover that this would not work.