Re: problem dealing w/ ietf.org mail servers

2008-07-04 09:44:20
On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 10:53:41AM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
Now I know different.  Just enabling ipv6 on an otherwise correctly
configured and functioning ipv4 box *will* cause damage -- it will cause
mail
that would have been delivered to not be delivered.  I could be wrong, but
this strikes me as a trap that lots of people could fall into.

that's one way to look at it.  another way to look at it is that poorly
chosen spam filtering criteria *will* cause damage, because conditions
in the Internet change over time.

Can't disagree with that :-)

In fact, I've never been very happy with this particular technique for
dealing with spam.  Reverse dns is not required for standards-compliant
delivery of mail, and it is my personal opinion that the ietf in particular
should not be using it as an absolute filtering criteria.  [Also, in my
experience it hasn't been particularly effective.]

of course, IPv6 will often get blamed for the problem because it's
something that the sender can control, whereas the spam filters are not
accountable to anyone.

That's a bit of an overstatement -- very frequently spam filters are
accountable to the people receiving the email, and in my experience, most
people would rather deal with some spam than lose important email.

Kent