Re: problem dealing w/ ietf.org mail servers

2008-07-10 13:08:28
Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:
On 8 jul 2008, at 20.41, Keith Moore wrote:
[..]
I disagree that it doesn't work for servers. (Or it would be better to say that I'd like to know why you think it doesn't work for servers.)

People have personal opinions, one likes this, the other likes that, maybe it works for you, maybe it works different for me.

Well, when I change that broken NIC in my server, it will receive a new address that needs to be reflected in the DNS.

Which is why EUI-64 is a great method on combination with RA to do autoconfiguration, but if somebody (for whatever reason they have) want to use those 64bits differently (eg using DHCP or static config) they should definitely do so, it is their network after all, and there is no meaning in those bits.

EUI-64/RA is just to make some cases (the dental office one for instance) really simply, but it is not a solution for everything else.
Pick and use what is useful...

BTW: Most OS's allow overriding of the MAC address, next to of course just configing an "automatic EUI-64 address" as a static one on an interface ;) Your network, your rules, your problem if you peep it up.

Greets,
 Jeroen