Re: problem dealing w/ ietf.org mail servers

2008-07-08 10:35:45

(Apologies for the late reply)

On 4 jul 2008, at 15.10, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Friday, 04 July, 2008 10:46 +0200 Kurt Erik Lindqvist
<kurtis(_at_)kurtis(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se> wrote:

On 3 jul 2008, at 15.57, Jeroen Massar wrote:

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 10:47:53PM -0700, 'kent' wrote:
[..]
However, this last address,
2001:470:1:76:2c0:9fff:fe3e:4009, is not explicitly
configured on the sending server; instead, it is being
implicitly
configured through ip6 autoconf stuff:

Which (autoconfig) you should either not be using on servers,
or you   should be configuring your software properly to
select the correct   outbound address. (I prefer to use the
autoconfig one for   'management' and using a 'service
address' for the service).

What a shame that's not what's in the RFCs..:-)

Despite the ":-)", I think there is an important question here.

Does it imply that this is a use case from which we should be
learning... and then fixing the RFCs?  Or that you believe that
the RFCs are correct and Jeroen's analysis is incorrect?

I hope it doesn't mean "the RFCs ought to govern, even when
reality and experience seem to contradict them".

So, from my POV there are a few issues here.

1) I do understand where the current "last 64 bits are EUId" comes from.

2) Someone (I think it was Keith Moore) said that if the scheme doesn't work for servers AND hosts (i.e no difference) it's a bad scheme. I sort of agree with that, but the reason it doesn't work for servers is simply lack of management tools, and the fact that a lot of protocols / implementations tend to use addresses rather than names.

2) In operational reality, I have learnt that EUI64 for workstations and similar hosts in combination with non EUI64 numbers for servers works quite well and is how I work with deployments. And I have a lot of respect for operational experience and reality. So yes, I think this is worth considering. Do I believe such a rule can be written clearly and get IETF consensus....that is a different question.

Best regards,

- kurtis -