Re: Call for review of proposed update to ID-Checklist

2008-07-09 07:21:46
John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> writes:

While I agree, I believe that it would be of great help if the
IESG  gave indications of the situations in which an exception
to a "SHOULD" would be appropriate.

Yes.

And on the particular question of example DNS names:

6.  Addresses used in examples SHOULD use fully qualified domain names
    instead of literal IP addresses, and SHOULD use example fqdn's
    such as foo.example.com instead of real-world fqdn's. See
    [RFC2606] (Eastlake, D. and A. Panitz, "Reserved Top Level DNS
    Names," June 1999.) for example domain names that can be used.

Why the SHOULD? Presumably, because you don't want naive folk to take
the examples in the RFC and use them in local config files and such,
causing problems or other undesirable effects when they (unexpectedly)
get used in the real world..

But in cases where this really is not a concern, there is also
presumably not a need to _require_ use of the example names.

Thomas