Re: About IETF communication skills

2008-07-31 12:51:20
I think it is unwise to assume that you will get an opportunity to
review a story before publication - let alone offer comments or
corrections - unless you have specifically negotiated that right with
the reporter and perhaps their superiors.  YMMV.  IANAL.

Right.  Years ago, the Bell Labs guide to dealing with the press
specifically warned against even asking if you could review the story
-- reporters often fear you'll try to delete embarrassing things you
said, or even bring pressure to get the story changed.

Exactly. Back when MIME first came out (1993 or so) I spent quite a lot of time
going around promoting it, in the process giving dozens of interviews about it.
Lots of articles resulted in a bunch of different publications.

I didn't have the benefit of such a guide, but I quickly learned that "can I
review it" is a question you don't ask. At most you say that you're available
for consultation if additional information or clarifications are needed. And in
any case, the ability to review the content prior to publication was
nonexistant. I cannot recall a single case where it happened.

Maybe this has changed since then, but I somehow doubt it.

The only thing you can do is make sure you only talk to reporters you
think will capture your statements correctly.  (Btw, don't assume that
reporters make up headlines -- often, they don't, any more than authors
have sole control over book titles or covers.)

Right again. It is very common for article titles, like article placement, to
be chosen at the sole discretion of the editorial staff. The author, even if
it's a senior reporter, often has zero say in the matter. (And if memory serves
people were a lot more upset about the misleading title than they were about
the article content in the case leading up to this discussion.)

For that matter, authors don't have final say over article content either. The
usual thing that's done is to cut stuff so it fits in whatever space was
allotted, but it isn't exactly unheard for editors to change stuff for whatever
reason.

                                Ned