Re: About IETF communication skills

2008-07-31 14:30:35
Ned Freed wrote:
Lixia Zhang wrote:

I'd like to share my own experience here: I was interviewed by
exactly the same reporter some time ago, and I requested to
review the article before publication. But the very next thing I
learned was that the article had been published, and the
interview misquoted.

My experience with that reporter is similar.

Glad to hear it.

Mine, OTOH, has been the exact opposite. I've been interviewed by her
several times and I have always been happy with the results. (The
same cannot be said for several others.)

I came to believe that she saw it as her job to misrepresent
whatever information was given to her.

I hope she's not getting to attend IETF for free.

I don't know what the IETF's policy regarding attendance fees for journalists is (a quick search of the IETF web site didn't turn up
anything), but the notion that people who write stuff we don't like
should have to pay more is truly asinine - think of the message THAT
sends loud and clear.

I don't really think we should require some journalists to pay more than others. But somehow it still irks to see a reporter (who, in my experience, has consistently misrepresented things) get a free ride. And I believe her reporting has done a lot of undue harm to both IETF's work and its reputation.

Maybe IETF should be thinking about what actions and policies, uniformly applied, will result in the most accurate representation of its work to the community.

Keith