RE: About IETF communication skills

2008-07-31 20:49:03
At 11:57 PM +0100 7/31/08, <michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com> wrote:
Of course then there is
the clarity of terminology, so lets define journalist as someone
who is paid to write articles for a publication and who is
at IETF to do their dayjob. Whether or not the journalist
also has a blog is irrelevant. This definition does exclude
people like me who are not currently paid to write and who
only write on things like blogs and mailing lists.

Aside from my view that it would be unwise and counterproductive to try to exclude any type of journalist, you propose an unworkable and unrealistic distinction. As much as you may not like it (and as much as some "traditional" or "real" journalists and the companies that employ them certainly do not like it), journalism is radically transforming, and "real" reporters are dwindling in number and Internet-age reporters are exploding.

There are "real" reporters who work on a freelance basis and are not paid until they write a story and (if they are lucky) place it. Should they be excluded because they are not on someone's payroll? There are bloggers who work full time for a corporation with one employee (themselves), and are compensated from advertising revenue -- an arrangement that (except for the number of employees) is remarkably similar to reporters who work for the New York Times. Are they in or out? I think you would find it impossible to draw a rational, fair line that allows in the people you prefer and excludes the rest.

A much better approach would be for the IETF to move into the Internet age (vis-a-vis journalists) and figure out how to work with all journalists, rather than cling to an outdated conception of that profession. If some journalists are not getting it, we all collectively need to do a better job of educating them. If a blogger gets it wrong, then we can all correct the error (either on the original blog or other blogs), and readers will begin to figure out that the blogger does not know what he/she is talking about (and perhaps then the blogger will listen more carefully the next time around). And isn't it likely that the blogger will get it more wrong if we exclude him/her in the first place?

My 2 cents....

John Morris
jmorris(_at_)cdt(_dot_)org