Re: About IETF communication skills

2008-08-01 10:41:51
Fred Baker wrote:

On Jul 31, 2008, at 5:52 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

Some considered that part of the delay of the IPv6 deployment was due to the lack of communication effort from IETF. I'm not really sure about that, however I agree that everything helps, of course.

To be honest, I think IPv6 has been overmarketed.

Let me ask you a question. When do you buy a new car? If you're at all like me, you buy a new car when the old one isn't serving your needs any more. Since buying a new car is a big expense, you put it off as long as you can.

IPv6 solves a problem service providers will have in 1-2 years. We knew a decade ago that it would be 1-2 years from now, but with less precision. A decade ago, the problem it solves wasn't one the service providers had, so investing in the technology only made sense from a research or early-adopter perspective. Everyone else put the investment off.

This analysis ignores the inherent chicken-and-egg nature of IPv6 deployment. There would be no point in the service providers supporting IPv6 in the next year or two if the platform and applications support were not already largely in place.

So the service providers drug their feet, but at least the OS platform people did their jobs reasonably well. As, I assume, the router vendors did also.

But IPv6 was heavily marketed. That leaves people saying, now that the problem is materializing, "yeah, yeah, yeah, been hearing about that for years."

But that was necessary, because there were so many different audiences that needed to get the word on IPv6 - just at different times.

Keith