Re: Past LC comments on draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-08

2008-08-06 11:41:08
I believe I instigated the creation of a new URI scheme for HELD. That's not to say, however, that I or the IESG required that solution -- to elaborate on what Martin said, I raised some issues, and the URI scheme was added after my review, but other solutions might work instead of new URI schemes.

The discussions started in a bar in San Diego (unminuted). After that there was list email. The issues that I was trying to help the WG address: - When an HTTP URI is found in an email, blog, etc, the operating system launches a Web browser. However, a Web browser doesn't know how to formulate a HELD request, and even if it did know how, it wouldn't know when/whether. - When location URIs appear in another context -- let's say, another protocol or a data format -- it can be helpful to be able to limit what kind of URIs appear in that context. Limiting by saying "These URIs must be of this URI scheme" is an easy way to do so.

Both of these problems can be solved in other ways besides defining a new URI scheme.

That said, a new URI scheme does help with both problems, and it does highlight the issue that most regular HTTP requests (e.g. a GET without a body) are not standardized or interoperable under HELD. It should be OK to use a new URI scheme in the target of an HTTP request, after all that's a well-defined point of HTTP extensibility in theory, and I'm not aware of major client or server library limitations that would prevent use in practice. If it has to be made explicit in the document that defines the URI schemes, so be it -- I believe it was implicit but obvious.

I'm aware of the W3C TAG recommendations on new URI schemes. Their TR says " Good practice: Reuse URI schemes. A specification SHOULD reuse an existing URI scheme (rather than create a new one) when it provides the desired properties of identifiers and their relation to resources." Some of their notes say for example: "You need to demonstrate there is a bar for URIs [new schemes] doing what you want or there is a huge value add". We can debate whether this example is a big value-add and whether the HTTP URI fails to express that a client needs to do a custom GET request, but given those caveats and the lack of an official IESG or IETF position on this, I believe there's some consistency between W3C TAG recommendations and IETF usage, and potentially this specific usage.

Lisa