Re: New schemes vs recycling "http:" (Re: Past LC comments on draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-08)

2008-08-07 02:32:19
it's surprising how much we agree on :-)

Julian Reschke wrote:

Certain usages of HTTP (in particular, the use of HTTP URLs for XML schemas) have tended to denigrate this implication, and say "you should regard this as an identifier". Still, the usage is prevalent enough that people have complained that servers identified in popular XML schemas are getting hit with enough extra traffic to cause operational problems.

I've heard that as well, and tried to find out exactly *what* URLs were causing the problem. As far as I can tell, it was always because of URLs that were intended to be dereferenced, such as URLs of DTDs. (If this is incorrect, I'd love to see a pointer...).
Is it clearly stated somewhere that URLs of DTDs are intended to be dereferenced? (in the Murky Old Days we had DTDs identified by SGML identifiers, which I don't think I'll be able to dereference any time soon....)

               Harald