Re: new text for ID_Checklist sect 3, item 6

2008-08-13 09:45:11

--On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:27 PM +0200 Lars Eggert <lars(_dot_)eggert(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com> wrote:

Looks good. My only comment is about where the justification
is to be provided - the PROTO writeup is at least an
alternative to putting this into the document itself, and IMO
it's a better alternative.

Lars,

There is a tricky balance about going into too much detail here. In general, I prefer to see phrases like "in a way specified by the IESG" to language about where things go (much less debates about that language). On the other hand, this sort of document is exactly the sort of place where the IESG specifies what it wants to see and where it wants to see it, so being more specific here doesn't disturb me too much.

The PROTO writeup is a fine place iff the IESG either includes that writeup in the Last Call or, better, includes an explicit note that the authors have asked for an exception to some particular guideline and pointing to the PROTO writeup for their explanation.

If the PROTO writeup is, in practice, only examined by the IESG, then it is the IESG, and the IESG alone, reviewing the argument for an exception and making the decision. The IESG should be evaluating and reflecting community consensus if the community cares. If the community doesn't, then I'm happy leaving thing up to the IESG. But having something the community might want to consider hidden in an obscure place, with no notice to the community, should not, ever, be the basis for a conclusion that the community doesn't care.