Re: new text for ID_Checklist sect 3, item 6

2008-08-13 10:33:54
At 3:21 AM -0700 8/13/08, Bert Wijnen (IETF) wrote:

John Klensin has proposed new text, whcih was amended by
Ted Hardie and the resulting text (if I understood it correctly) is:

      "6.  Addresses used in I-Ds SHOULD use fully qualified
       domain names (FQDNs) instead of literal IP addresses.
       Working Groups or authors seeing exemptions from that

Is this "seeking exemptions from that"?

       rule MUST supply the rationale for IP address use with
       inline comments (e.g., "Editor's note:" or "Note in
       Draft:" that can be evaluated by the IESG and the
       community along with the rest of the document.

I think the "Addresses used in I-Ds SHOULD use FQDNs instead
of literal IP addresses" should add "where either would be
appropriate in the protocol described."  It would be silly
to require that a document describing the IPv6 architecture
include an "Editor's note:" of this type.  I personally think
that it is also silly to require at MUST strength the inclusion
of such a note where there is a long history of IP rather
DNS in a slot (as is the case for SDP).  I would prefer
"Authors should be aware that that the use of IP addresses
where FQDNs or other identifiers would be appropriate
may engender questions and delay.  They may wish to include
explanatory text in an "Editor's Note" or "Note in Draft" to
avoid these issues."  It just seems more like
we're peers discussing the issue that way, rather than the
community being told how the IESG will wield its power.
But I digress.

Authors also need to use a lot of caution in using things
ORCHIDS, which use the same bit patterns as IPv6 addresses but
are not IP-layer, and ULAs, which have routing policy built in to the
address ranges.  Whether we want to include general advice
to that effect here (Caution!  Dangerous ORCHIDS present!)
or not is largely a matter of how exhaustive you want this
to be. It's well past exhaustive enough, in my opinion, but
tastes differ.
                        regards,
                                Ted