Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-13 10:11:31

--On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:21 PM +0200 Simon Josefsson <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org> wrote:

If the IETF removes patent disclosures, I believe the IETF
will find itself in the position of evaluating the
_correctness_ of patent related claims.  This seems like the
wrong approach.

Or the authority to request that something be removed. That seems like equally bad news.

One way to mitigate your problem without getting into
evaluating correctness or removing disclosures would be to
collect all patent disclosures updates on the same page as the
original patent disclosure, and sort the entries in reverse
calendar order.  Then anyone can add note that a disclosure
below was filed without authority.  That disclosure can be
evaluated for correctness the same way that other disclosures
can be evaluated.  Removing disclosures makes it impossible
for IETF participants to evaluate the contents for themselves.

Exactly

It seems to me that any other course of action leads us into rat holes.

I note, fwiw, that a company statement that said "the person who made that earlier statement had no authority to do so and we have fired him for making the claim" would (i) be very persuasive in the right way, (ii) establish the authority of the person making the latter statement, (iii) provide the foundation for libel action by the original filer against the person or company making the statement if it were not true, since the claim that someone had been fired on that basis would clearly be harmful to his or her reputation.

Clearly, the IETF would not be party to any of that -- we just post statements -- nor would that be the only sort of corrective statement that could be made. But it would be effective.

   john

/Simon