Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-14 06:20:58
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:04:37 -0400 Marshall Eubanks
<tme(_at_)multicasttech(_dot_)com>
wrote:

In the US, I believe that every company must have a counsel of record.
Verifying a disclosure with that counsel
should be sufficient. I think that there are similar provisions in
other countries.

I don't particularly care to get deeply drawn into this thread, but I do
want to point out that business registration and incorporation in the U.S.
are primarily a matter of state law.  There are more than 50 potential
answers for just the U.S.

There is certainly no such requirement in the state or Maryland where my
business is registered.  There is a requirement for a Resident Agent, but
there is no requirement for a lawyer.

I suspect that any legally defensibly validation mechanism would quickly
fall into a pit of complexity from which it is unlikely to emerge.

Scott K