RE: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-14 09:04:54
Yes.

--
Eric Gray
Principal Engineer
Ericsson

-----Original Message-----
From: John C Klensin [mailto:john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:00 PM
To: Eric Gray; Simon Josefsson; Andrew Sullivan
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

--On Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:30 AM -0500 Eric Gray
<eric(_dot_)gray(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com> wrote:

John,

    What you said is all true, but obviously it has nothing
to do with what you responded to.  I said (in effect) that -
if one set of lawyers contact another set of lawyers, we may
have to take some action and we should have the mechanisms in
place to allow that.

We don't want to encourage anyone who decides that an IPR claim
or rights/licensing summary is inappropriate and should be taken
down to go looking for an IETF lawyer, do we?   The denial of
service --or the accumulation of costs (in some form) to the
IETF -- occurs the moment that call or letter is received.  I
don't think we want to design mechanisms that make that easy for
the person requesting the removal.  The "wait for a court order
or equivalent" suggestion was an attempt to raise the bar and
make sure that the entity requesting the removal was both real
and very serious (just finding someone claiming to be a lawyer
to make a call does not require either).

And that was my point, which seems exactly in line with your
comment.

     john