RE: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-14 07:44:23
Simon has hit on a valid point that not many seem to have
been considering in this discussion: it is one thing to
evaluate validity of an IPR claim and quite another to
evaluate validity of an IPR disclosure.

I think the reason for not taking a position relative to the
validity of the IPR is that this can easily become quite a
tangled mess.  To perform some reasonable evaluation of an
IPR disclosure - such as has been suggested in this thread -
can probably be done without conflict with international
patent office decisions or potential damage to corporate or
personal "property."

Another point to consider is that a very-likely-to-be-valid
reason for removing an IPR disclosure is if an organization's
legal representative(s) convince the IETF's legal beagles
that an IPR disclosure was made innappropriately - such as
anonymously, or by an explicitly unauthorized person (such
as a disgruntled ex-employee or a competitor).  There must
be a way to handle this situation.

Timeliness of the counter-assertion should be a factor, but
that's one to be decided by counsel.

I believe the IETF has some degree of responsibility to do
at least some reasonable amount of evaluation of an IPR
disclosure - whatever might be the policy regarding the
evaluation of IPR itself.

--
Eric Gray
Principal Engineer