RE: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-14 08:36:08

--On Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:15 AM -0400 Powers Chuck-RXCP20 <Chuck(_dot_)Powers(_at_)motorola(_dot_)com> wrote:

I think that Stephan raised some very good points as to why
allowing some IPR disclosures to be removed actually makes
sense. Since quite often IPR disclosures are made for a
specific ID in a specific working group, if that WG ultimately
does not choose that technology (and the ID expires), I am
curious as to what the value would be of keeping that IPR
disclosure on file forever? If narrowly worded (as many are),
it would not be applicable to any other ID submission or
working group, and would therefore have little use but to add
to the growing list of disclosures in the IETF IPR database.

I would be curious to hear the reasoning for keeping these on
file, apart from 'historical record', since I am not convinced
the IETF IPR database is the right place to hold onto IPR
disclosures simply for historical purposes that only apply to
technology that will never see the light of day in an IETF
standard, since the IETF doesn't see any value in keeping the
IDs that they applied to in the first place.

Chuck,

As a long-term advocate of taking the provisions that I-Ds expire after six months --at least to the extent of having _all_ rights in them revert to the author(s)-- I think what you are saying above is profoundly sensible.

However, the IPR WG, in its wisdom, has concluded, in some phrasing that was changed fairly late in the game, that the IETF Trust should get enough rights in I-Ds to authorize all sorts of subsequent uses of them and their content, with no time limit. That phrasing passed through IETF Last Call and IESG signoff and is the context in which the Trust is now writing rules. It seems to me that, if the IETF (through the Trust) is going to be in a position to grant rights to use material in I-Ds forever, and if rights to use code in I-Ds (even for the first time) don't expire after six months or some other closed period, then, logically, we are obligated to keep the IPR disclosures forever.

I suppose that, if I were a paranoid lawyer (and IANAL, even if I'm paranoid about these sorts of things) and giving advice to a participant in the IETF, I'd recommend that an IPR disclosure be filed on every single I-D, indicating that any licenses I might grant were good for only six months after the posting of the last I-D in the relevant series unless it were approved for RFC publication. What that would do to the system we seem to be making for ourselves would be interesting, at least.

   john