Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-14 08:34:53
On 8/14/08 11:15 AM, Powers Chuck-RXCP20 allegedly wrote:
I would be curious to hear the reasoning for keeping these on file,
apart from 'historical record', since I am not convinced the IETF IPR
database is the right place to hold onto IPR disclosures simply for
historical purposes that only apply to technology that will never see
the light of day in an IETF standard, since the IETF doesn't see any
value in keeping the IDs that they applied to in the first place.

The historical record is enough justification imho. I would like to see legitimate disclosures kept, but marked (as RFCs are). The first reason is a reluctance to throw anything away when we simply don't know whether it might be useful or not in the future. Another reason is that it provides a history of past behavior by the claimant, which might be useful in WG decisions about future claims.